Thursday, 22 October 2015

Dream as if you live forever!

Hi all

Hope everybody is managing to keep warm, it's been horrible here today! And what better way to cheer yourself up on a miserable day than to work on a canvas!




I must confess I did start this yesterday when the sun was shining and the trees and shrubs outside had that lovely autumnal feel with all the lovely reds and oranges being highlighted by the sun.  And that's what gave me the inspiration for the colours on this piece.

I started off by deciding which embellishments to use.  I have had some Sandra Evertson Relics and Artifacts from Prima for a couple of weeks now, these pieces are stunning and have been taken from original relics and artifacts in Sandra's own collection, there are quite a few different ones to choose from, cameos, skulls, hearts and faces and pieces of faces! If you haven't seen them yet they are well worth taking a look at and are very reasonably priced. I originally was going to use another piece first but this one just kept calling to me!



I placed him on a piece of gauze and arranged the embellishments till I was happy added on some glue stripes, and then in my infinite wisdom covered it all in gesso.  Why do I say that I hear you ask. You need to coat it all in Gesso, well yes if you are putting paint on, but i was using Lyndys Stamp Gang sprays and I soon found out that they just soak into the gesso.  It looked ok, it was just a bit pale!  I had added some grunge paste through a crafters workshop stencil. After this had dried and I had sprayed it a few time and still the colour was soaking in, I decided to put some Tim Holtz Crackle paint over the top in a couple of places and as it dried I noticed something miraculous as the crackle paint was drying it was bringing the colour back to the surface!!


If you compare the above photo with the top photo you can see the difference adding the crackle paint made.


Oh joy, I have to say I was a very happy little bunny! Back out came the crackle paint and I coated the whole thing, because it's a paint it has very fine crackles, but it certainly adds to the whole effect especially over the grunge paste lettering.  The flowers are from the very clever Sam at Samoflora, she really does make the most gorgeous flowers.

Well as always do let me know what your thoughts are